Calligraphy Four: Advanced with Anne Elser 6 Sessions | Advanced | Price: $160 | Max.15ARTZ7915 | Thursdays, July 31 – September 4, 1:30 – 4pm
Calligraphy 4 was created for those who want to apply the layout and lettering skills learned in Calligraphy 3 onto alternative surfaces and textures with a variety of tools and mediums.
• Hand Lettering: using different fonts to intermix with your calligraphy. Balance, expression, and variety - the letters you've been making all your life can work beautifully with your calligraphy. Discover double-lining your letters and pimping the down stroke as well as lettering the same quote in different styles and using a tracing technique to build a complex arrangement of different lettering styles into one cohesive collage.
• Envelopes: Literally pushing the possibilities of envelope design. Deconstructing existing formats to create a unique space for your custom message, flaps, folds, liners, windows and reveals.
• Handkerchiefs: Lettering on fabric with permanent fabric paint.
• Chalkboard Paint: Smudge-proof, forgiving and colorful, Liquid Chalkboard markers are sexier than you think.
• Idea to Finished Product: We'll discuss and put into practice the process of creating a finished product for a specific audience with appropriate tools. The creative process is more fun than you might think!
• Brush Lettering: Whether painting on a person, paper, fabric, wood, leather, or canvas, you'll learn to brush with confidence with some standard practice strokes and different techniques for painting a live letter vs. a sketched letter.
Detailed Supply Lists will be given after first class and before each project. Supplies to bring to first class are pencil, calligraphy pens, ink, ruler, scissors, glue, tape, and transparent maker paper.
After earning a BFA in painting from the Cleveland Institute of Art and graduate studies in Graphic Design at The Portfolio Center, Anne Elser began her artistic career as a painter, bookbinder, designer, and calligrapher. With over 20 years teaching experience, her students often report how fulfilling the classroom experience is, prompting both personal and artistic transformations. Anne's classes are also FUN and full of laughter and you will find the sense of community she inspires enriching and entertaining.
To compliment and serve better Atlanta's calligraphic and book arts communities, Anne recently founded "The Atlanta Penablers" a group that meets the first Friday night of every month.
Artist, calligrapher, teacher, mother, and friend, Anne believes making art creates a channel for truth and is a soulful reflection of the connections shared by all.
This Workshop takes place in our Buckhead store.
For questions or comments please email Jacob@Bindersart.com